Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What a Weekend!

My beautiful mother was in town this past weekend for a quick trip to Austin on the tail end of her spring break. She recently completed her treatment and was visiting to celebrate good health!

Here is a peek at our near 48 hours together, and then some...

Lady Bird Lake Trail

I picked Mom up from the airport on Friday morning. We grabbed a leisurely brunch at Austin Java before taking a stroll on the trail.


That night, and after a nap, Gareth joined us for dinner at an Austin favorite, then we opted to head home instead of hit the town. The three of us watched a movie then called it a night.

Art City Austin
Saturday - we slept in (well, kind of)!

Once Gareth was able to wake me up, the three of us had breakfast together at Star Seeds - just up the road. When our bellies were full, Gareth headed for the golf course, and my mom and I headed for Art City Austin.


I was hoping to run into Erin . I was certain she would be there because I know how much she loves art, but our paths never crossed.

My mom and I checked out ALL of the art on display. I've never really considered myself artistic, let alone an artist; however, I discovered that I am definitely drawn to certain pieces. Even though I wasn't able to describe what I liked or why I liked it...I definitely did like some things better than others. Maybe a good step toward art appreciation?

Later that evening, Gareth and I took my mom out for dinner. Ryan, Lilli, and Hank (Sharon, we missed you!) joined us at Castle Hill. Our dinner party toasted my mom's visit AND Gareth and I's future! We spent the night telling stories, laughing and piecing together the engagement.

Sunday
I was up not-so-bright and early to drop Mom off at the airport by 5:00am. She made her flight and I managed a few more hours of sleep before I went into the office. Sunday was our first day of registration.

That's right, I spent 5 1/2 hours of a gorgeous Austin Sunday at work.

When I emerged from Bellmont Hall that afternoon, I came face-to-face with the MS 150. Thousands of cyclists were riding from Houston to Austin last weekend and finishing their journey through campus - less that a mile from the finish.

One year ago, I was on that bike. It brought tears to my eyes to remember my own struggle as I peddled toward Austin. Not nearly as prepared as I should have been but refusing to give up...


Wow - what a weekend...what a year!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like a great weekend, Jane. Sorry I missed you.

We should throw some art galleries in to our "Eastside Tour" you think?

holly said...

Jane,

I've been meaning to say "Congratulations" for days now. I'm glad you had such a good weekend.

Jane said...

Erin: definitely!

Holly: thanks :-)