Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What Do I Want?

As I was listening to a podcast just a few days ago, the broadcaster asked her listeners to consider what it is that we truly want in life. To name it. Do I want a new car? Do I want to live in a certain neighborhood? Do I want to find love? Do I want to have a child?

What do I want? As I began to think about this question, something else (quite fantastic, I think) occurred to me.

About 5 years ago...

I had been working a series of jobs, each one leaving me unfulfilled. Ultimately I ended at a job as an administrative assistant. I preferred that title to "secretary" when I was asked the dreaded, "what do you do?" question.

While I met/worked for some wonderful people, none of these jobs were the right fit for me. I remember feeling lost as to the direction that I truly wanted to head. I also remember, though, that there were a few specific things that I used to name outloud when someone would ask me what I wanted to do...

1) My own office
2) Business cards with my name on them
3) A professional dress code

Simple, right? Well, until the age of 29, I did not have a single job that contained all three of these qualities at once.

It wasn't until the podcast that I went back to this version of "what I wanted". How exciting to remember - and then to realize that I had achieved my goal!

Now...what do I want next?

1 comment:

dr mel said...

What a great reflection, Jane. I'm happy you achieved it! :)