Monday, January 28, 2008

Why Do I Run, Again?

...because I can!

I went out to cheer on my friends at the 3M half marathon this past Sunday. I always seem to get teary-eyed watching people out on the course, pushing themselves. It definitely moves me.

I cheered my little heart out.

I yelled for people by name - even if they were not a close friend. I know the difference hearing your name makes. I yelled for strangers. I yelled for those who were fast and I yelled for those who were slow.

"Great job, runners!"
"You're lookin' good!"
"You're almost done!"
"Keep workin'!"

One boy about 10 years old, stopped and approached me. With his most earnest voice, he asked me, "what mile am I on?" I told this young man that he was almost to mile 12, "You're almost there, Buddy! You're doing a great job!". A woman wearing a Garmin had just passed five minutes prior and told her friend that they were at mile 11.7 (loud enough for me to hear). This seemed to be enough to inspire him to keep running.

I'd never noticed how much I love the sound of feet pounding the pavement. I guess it's because my feet are usually contributing to the sound. Yesterday, it sounded melodic to me. It made want to be out on the course. I wanted my feet to be a part of the sound I was hearing.

Why do I run?

I run to be a part of something bigger than myself. I run to inspire those running with me and those watching me run. I run because I am healthy and because I can.

I will run the Austin Marathon on February 17th. It will be my second marathon. I've been wondering lately if I'm cut out for this. I had forgotten (even if only briefly) why I run. Thankfully, this weekend I remembered.

Thank you to those of you who ran the 3M...to those of you who needed me to cheer for you. As it turns out, I needed it more than you.

7 comments:

Dionn said...

Isn't it great how it works out like that?

Thank you so much for being out there this weekend. It really DOES help!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

See you at AT&T!

md said...

Thank you Jane! you rode up next to me on Duval and said "good job Maggie", and that really helped. You rode slowly next to me for maybe a minute, just next to me in silence. I can't tell you how much that helped me! And maybe you were just "riding slowly" but it was company when I needed it.
thanks for being out there.

Buzz said...

Sounds like I better get my ass out there on the 17th to cheer you on to victory!

Unknown said...

I'll be at the Rogue water stop at the marathon...I think it's at 18.8 miles. We will be sure to cheer very loud for you;-)

JohnF said...

Thanks for cheering for me out there.

Kris said...

I'm so glad someone else gets teary-eyed watching other people run races. The longer or tougher the race, the harder it is for me to hold back tears.

So, I'll be the blubbering idiot cheering for you on the 17th! :)

Shorey said...

Cheering is indeed fun! I'll be out there cheering for you on the 17th.