Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Power of the Cheer

I've added a new feature to my blog, recently. Right underneath My Favorite Blogs, I've added a list of the Last 5 Books that I've read.

I am always reading a book.

I find that it soothes me when I'm stressed,
stimulates me when I'm lazy,
and entertains me when I'm bored.

I love a good book!

The last book that I finished was Linda Armstrong's (Lance's mom) book, No Mountain High Enough: Raising Lance, Raising Me. It was a great book, and another inspirational story.

I found this part particularly meaningful...

I believe in the power of being cheered on. I've seen it work for a baby taking his first step, for a battered marathon runner on the track, for the little boys' football team on their last living legs, for a secretary struggling to pull together a proposal by five. Cheering someone on is a noble endeavor. It's such a purely giving thing, and giving feels good. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't discovered that firsthand. There is a special bond between the cheering and the cheered. When you care enough about someone to show up for them, love them enough to get all emotionally involved and be a complete bellering fool, all in the cause of encouragement -- you know, I think there must be some sort of love-induced chemical reaction. Somehow a little of your soul gets transferred into their system and gives them this little snap-crackle-pop of energy.


I am reminded that I have great cheerers in my life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love cheerleaders!!!

You're almost done then you have to make-up all of those sacrificed Happy Hours...not to worry we'll be there to cheer you on or help consume some libations!!

Go, Jane Go!

KP said...

Wa-hoo Jane!!!