Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I'll Get There

Two weeks ago I decided to try the core class that meets at Jack & Adam's every Monday. Erin went the week before and said that it, pretty much, kicked her ass. I've been wanting to add this type of training to my routine, so when Erin said, "free". I said, "I'll try it."

I thought that I was trying a core class...by the end of the class though, I thought maybe I had accidentally signed myself up for basic training.

Let me explain.

Everything looked normal at first. A normal looking group standing around in running shorts, yoga mats layed out in front. All of this relatively familiar, except...

I was met with an instructor that I was not expecting. He was not worried about each person's modifications and heart rates. To be honest, he was really loud and at times, not very nice.

"I'LL WAIT ALL DAY IF I HAVE TO!"

"I'M TALKING TO EVERYONE - GET YOUR FEET UP!"

"HEAD UP - GET THERE!"

"I'M NOT GOING TO ASK YOU AGAIN! DO IT!"

He yelled when he counted off our repititions and it sounded like a military cadence, although, I can't be sure since I've never been in the military. Those repititions were outrageous. Four minutes of plank, 100 reps of leg lifts (I thought we might stop when we got to 20, then maybe 50, when we kept going, I thought we might never stop)...I can't even remember all of the sets. I think my mind may have blocked it out due to the trauma.

I almost threw up about half way through the workout, and I seriously considered standing up to walk out of the class - I didn't want him to yell at me though. That was all that kept me there!

Truth be told, as all of those thoughts were running through my head, I secretly loved every second of it! That's what an athlete looks for isn't it? Someone to push her, someone who won't settle for the limits that she places on herself?

At the end of the workout, I approached the instructor, Adam. He smiled and was much gentler as he told me how good he thought I did for the first time. I would be much stronger the next class, he told me.

Huh. I think I like this.

I went back last night.

5 comments:

Erin said...

sweet! I'm going again tomorrow night (Wed) if you want to join me. I'm bringing Stephanie along this time. (Gotta love FOMO)

I'm trying to remember - what was Adam yelling about a ninja?!

Anonymous said...

OMG. Jane. 4 Minutes of Plank??!!! All at the same time? I'm not even going to tell Jen about that, she makes us do 2 minutes with some nice pushups in between. I'll be thanking her next class! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

It's a crazy workout isn't it? I think the same thing- "what the #?! am I doing this for" alternating with "this is pretty cool". We're all nuts :)

MW said...

Nicely done, Jane!

Buzz said...

You guys are awesome, I'm not there yet.