Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Where I'm From

I am from backyard playscapes, Candyland & Holly Hobbie, and big family reunions

I am from Pepperwood, from hugs and “I love you”s, from belly laughs that make you cry

I am from potted flowers given on Mother’s Day and the same imitation Christmas tree every year

I am from thriving under pressure, from loyalty and privacy - even at the cost of kindness and friendship, from Winkels and Kenneys, from Dan and Carolyn, from John, Pearl, David, and Carole

I am from hard work and frugality

I am from heated confrontations, but I am also from meaningful apologies, true forgiveness, and unconditional love

I am from the sign of the cross and holy water, from church on some Sundays, catechism, and hoping others think we are good people

I am from Kansas City, Missouri, and Sioux City, Iowa, and Omaha, Nebraska, from french toast at breakfast and Mom’s signature roast beef and green beans

I am from athletic success found on the volleyball court, from national attention, interested college coaches, and a crowd of fans and supporters; I am also from the hurt, confusion, and embarrassment caused by one seat left noticeably empty

I am from competition, from the treasured experience of representing Texas and wearing the burnt orange and white, from an education found in the classroom, on the court, and in the relationships built and torn down through the process

I am from the crushed dreams of a young bride with romantic notions of happily ever-after, from stubbornness in refusing to admit I was not the one for my love, from the heart-breaking rejection found in confessions of “I wish I never…”, but I am also from the courage painfully found to ask for more

I am from a world shaken by critical questions, prescriptions, and judgments, from a soul in love with God but tired of God’s people

I am from margaritas, queso, and Fat Gurl Sundays

I am from Austin, Texas, from real faults, daring honesty, big fun, and the thrill of being genuine - of being me
--
I was inspired to write my version of this poem by an old friend. If you would like to share your version, you can find instructions here.

I look forward to reading about you.

2 comments:

dr mel said...

That's beautiful, Jane.

Shorey said...

Thanks for sharing.