Monday, June 18, 2007

Act Like It


It's a phrase that I've heard plenty. Sometimes, it's only a joke the photographer tells to elicit a smile. Sometimes, though, there is a sad truth behind the request...



"Act like you like her!"

I recall old photos with people who I am acting like I like...or who are acting like they like me, but there is no twinkle. There is no joy. There is only a half-hearted smile and that's about all.

It's interesting how much of a story a photograph can tell.

The photo of Gareth and I was taken at my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago. The story that it tells is this: I am happy that he is with me, and he is happy to make me happy.

Gareth drove with me from Austin to Kansas City and back again in one weekend. I think we spent more time driving that we did in Kansas City!

I know that he had plenty of "more fun" options if he had stayed in town that weekend, but he knew that it meant a lot to me for him to join me...and he did and was wonderful!

Not just in photographs, but in the small moments and decisions in life, it's nice to have someone who doesn't just act like they like you from time to time...it's nice to have someone who really means it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture, Jane! Cheers to you both! :) Your fan, --sj

dr mel said...

Glad you are happy, Jane.

Shorey said...

You look amazing! Great photo, and a great take on the story it's telling.