Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Left Lane Frustrations

Gareth and I returned from a road trip last Sunday night. I only took the wheel for about 25% of the time, but man do I have a bone to pick in those few hours in the driver's seat!

Who is forgetting to teach our drivers proper ettiquette (and law in some states) about driving in the left lane?!

Apparently, I am not alone in my frustrations with these slow-poke left lane drivers. See here and here.

Please help educate the drivers of America...

Teach your teenagers to use the left lane for passing. Tell your parents, tell your friends, tell the guy sitting in the cubicle next to yours: Slower drivers should drive in the right lane.

These are the rules I use when I am driving on the highway:
1-If no one else is on the road, I drive in the right lane.
2-If I am about to turn right, I drive in the right lane.
3-If I am about to turn left, I drive in the left lane.
4-If I am driving slower than the people around me (and 3 does not apply), I drive in the right lane.
5-If I am driving faster than the people around me (and 2 does not apply), I drive in the left lane.
6-If I am driving in the left lane and have zoned out -- then suddenly realize that I am being passed on the right, I take the next available opportunity to move over to the right lane.

I am not normally described by my friends as a "fast driver". I am actually more frequently described as "grandma" or a "deliberate driver", but I CANNOT stand driving on the highway with people who do not know how to use the left lane.

Can I get some support on this one?!

4 comments:

MW said...

I completely agree.
I often yell at the person in front of me: "Hey &*#%^ face, you're doing no one any favors by driving the speed limit in this lane"

But then, it got me thinking...
Maybe, just maybe, they all zoned out?

Side note: If i'm in the country (not city), at dusk, night, or dawn; I purposely drive in the left lane, so that I have more time to react if a deer jumps out of nowhere. (just food for thought)

Unknown said...

Lemme tell you I have refrained from writing a very similar post over the past 1 1/2 years, since I started commuting to San Marcos. I can't begin to explain the amount of ignorance driving on the roads these days.

I've passed a big ass ford diesel on the right side to see he was literally riding on a mini-cooper's bumper...how that vehicle didn't look in the rear view mirror and get the hell out of the way is beyond me.

I'm glad I'm not the only irritated hwy driver;-) Although, I've noticed between Austin and San Marcos it tends to be men going slow in the left lane...I had to say it;-)

Shua said...

I am with you on that one Jane. I like those links to signs to put on your car. I have thought about putting a neon sign in my back left window that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right", then flashing it to people as I passed them on the right and swerved in front of them to wake them up.

MooreWorld said...

I have been known to ride someone's bumber until they get the clue...or after I pass them on the right I will slightly cut them off as I go back into the left lane so they get the picture. Not a proud moment for me, but an honest one!