Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Stand-Up Dad

Doesn't every daughter think her father is the funniest man in the world?

From the time I was a young girl, my Dad and I have been laughing together. Most of the time, it's Dad trying to make me laugh.

He must have been a good teacher though, because here are some photos of me (at 2 years-old) trying to make him laugh...















As I got older, we would banter back and forth at the kitchen table.

His signature move is a laugh that's so hard he can't breathe. Veins start to pop out of his head and all you hear is one loud exhale and then silence. Just witnessing Dad laughing like that is enough to send me into hysterics.

As an adult, I found out that Dad once had a dream of becoming a stand-up comedian. I was surprised to hear that at the time, but as I spent more time thinking about my childhood, I could clearly see my Dad's humor. Sometimes it is merely an attempt at humor! (wink)

I must have taken this for granted.

You mean, every father doesn't try to make his family laugh like that?!

Even as a grown woman, there is noone who can make me laugh more genuinely than my Dad. Just the other week, I was on the phone with him at work. It was only a 5 minute phone call to check on something I had delivered to the house. In 5 minutes my Dad made me laugh. Out loud. Hard. I was almost crying.

So on this Father's Day weekend Dad, I want to thank you for making me laugh. For teaching me the importance of laughing. For being silly enough that you never really care whether someone is laughing at you or with you. Either way you've made someone laugh and that is a good thing.


Here's to many more moments to laugh together!

Love,
your witty (read: smart-ass) daughter

1 comment:

MooreWorld said...

That was beautiful, Jane, in so many ways.