Monday, February 18, 2008

Success

It was a grueling day.

I wanted to many, many, MANY times...but I DIDN'T QUIT!
And so, I consider the day a success.

I ran the first 13 miles well. I was only 5 min behind my goal pace of 4:30 at that point. I had already taken quite a few hills and was still keeping up...

Unfortunately, that's when the wheels fell off. I couldn't find the energy to hang on...I spent it all. About mile 15 the 4:45 pace group passed me. My friend Carol looked strong. I gave her a wave, told her good luck! I knew I couldn't keep up.

I saw Gareth about mile 16. At that point, I told him that I will be lucky to finish. I had already blown it, going out to fast. All I could hope to do was to hang on. Sharon jumped in with me about 1/2 mile later and ran until mile 18. She ran with me and cheered for me and inspired other spectators to cheer for me, too. Those were the hardest miles. I would not have made them without Sharon.

We passed Michelle's house just before mile 18. She had made signs for me. Seeing my name on a sign being waved in the air was awesome! She and her husband were out on their street waiting for me to run by. At mile 18.8 I ran past the Rogue water stop. Katie yelled started yelling for me as soon as she saw me coming and didn't stop until I had passed. I saw my name on the pavement "Banana". Just a few yards from there, Chris and Megan had a big crowd yelling my name in front of their house. Chris ran with me to the 19 mile marker and promised that I was almost there. It was a nice sentiment...but it was a huge lie!

I almost missed Lindsey at the 21 mile water stop, which provided some much needed comic relief. "Where the FUCK is Lindsey?! Oh there you are, move over I need to stop for a second."

At mile 23, Adrien and Landon jumped onto the course with me. They ran beside me to the finish. "I'm not quitting," I told Adrien. "I know. I'm not going to let you," was her response. She encouraged me and helped me through the water stops. She reminded me that I was strong and that I looked good and would finish. It still hurt like hell!

Gareth and his faithful friends served as my entourage the whole day, then rode with us through campus on the last mile. There were some points that I was expecting to see him, but he also surprised me...and it was those surprises that provided the most relief.

The cannon sounded to start the race at 7:00AM. Fireworks went off and 13,000 runners took to the streets of Austin. Five hours and 19 minutes later, I crossed the finish line...and became a marathoner.

Last night as we celebrated our victories together, one of the coaches asked me what I learned. Thought ran through my mind about the things I learned about my training, about my preparation, or even about my intention to run a marathon again. None of those seemed right...

What I really learned - out on that course - is that I am tough!

10 comments:

MW said...

you ARE tough!
And I'm glad I'm your friend!

Shorey said...

Congratulations, Jane! You're an inspiration, and even though you really felt those miles toward the end, your support system was clearly in full force. You are a lucky, lucky girl!

md said...

congratulations marathoner!! good job on pushing till the end!
I must have missed you at the finish line.
great job on a tough race!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jane!

Dionn said...

Awesome job Jane!! When the going got tough, you kept going! NICE WORK!!

Mike said...

Badass Banana.

Kris said...

Winston Churchill once said, "If you're going through hell, keep going."

Congratulations on making it through hell! More importantly, congratulations on becoming a marathoner! :)

foodierachel said...

Yeah! You did such a great job! We are so proud!

-And its about time! You left us on QUITE a cliffhanger......happy to know you finished and didn't get injured.

When's the next marathon? LOL

Anonymous said...

Nice work! Way more than I could ever do!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO JANE!!! I'm do proud to know you! Love, Tiff