Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm Allergic...to Everything

Do you have allergies?

I've been a cronic sneezer since I was in elementary school. I am one of those people who will rattle off 5-10 sneezes in one breath. People get tired of "blessing" me?!

As an adult, it's become more apparent that I am allergic to something. There are days that I feel like I have the flu or a cold, but just know it has to be something else, something in the air.

On the advice of a co-worker, I went to see an allergist a few weeks ago.

I've tolerated the symptoms for so long. Plus, being the competitive person that I am, I was hesitant to communicate with my doctor that essentially, "I might not be tough enough to handle this anymore". Silly, I know. He must have heard through my "I'm tough" routine, because I went through the battery of tests a few days later.

Scrapes on my back and 29 shots in my arm! The results...

I'm allergic to almost everything! Well, not everything, but a lot. I'm allergic to something in every season here in Austin. My list includes cedar, ragweed (big in the Midwest), grasses, molds, fall elm (among other trees), cats, and cockroaches(!).

The good news is that he gave me medicine to start immediately that should relieve my symptoms and keep them from returning. Even better news is that I don't have to go on shots (yet, anyway)!

Here's today's forecast...

I now know that I do, in fact, have allergies. I know exactly what I'm allergic to, and I know that I'm doing something to keep me from feeling itchy, runny, and foggy because of it.

Even though the molds and fall elm are through the roof, it's a good allergy day for me in Austin, Texas!

No comments: