Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Damn, It's Hot!

Last night's Quality Workout took Camp Punishment to the track at the Texas School for the Deaf...in 94 degree heat. The assigned torture workout was to run 6 800's at 5K pace with 200 recoveries. I was the only one who had raced on Sunday to opt for straights and curves.

I ran straights and curves for 2 miles around the track.

Straights and curves is not a difficult workout. I'm glad that no one reminded me of that last night, though! I made it through 5 laps and was sweating profusely. Sweat was dripping into my eyes and I couldn't see...it was a disaster! I stopped for water, and finished my 8 laps.

I saw my heart rate skyrocket each lap on the half of the track that was in the blazing heat (which I knew thanks to my handy Forerunner)!

I don't think that I ever really cooled down and I was especially exhausted last night following the workout. Right now, I'm sitting in my office and I still feel hot.

One of my teammates summed it up best when I asked her how her workout was going...with a smile on her face, she told me, "it's miserable!"

2 comments:

dr mel said...

Good for you for getting out there and doing the workout though! I think it is so difficult to run fast in this heat...which is part of the reason that I skipped my own workout last night. My heart rate has been soaring too, even at an easy pace...I know it's the heat.

foodierachel said...

Ah, running while sweat is dripping in your eyes is not fun... But its those miserable workouts that somehow make your stronger and faster. Good job!