Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Graduate? A Graduate. A Graduate!

I first decided that I would apply to the Sport Management graduate program in Kinesiology at The University of Texas in the Spring of 2003.

I was going through a very difficult transition at the time and found myself asking, for the first time in a very long time...

"What is it that I want to do with my life?". I didn't know the answer...

I decided to consider what I loved. Since the time I was a young child, it was my experience with sport that inspired me. I did not know what I would do, but I decided to head in the direction of sport...Sport Management.

I did not take the typical 2-year route. I started out as a part-time student for two semesters. After those two, I enrolled full-time for two semesters. After one year as a full-time student, I was offered a full-time job with the Athletics Department. It was an offer I could not refuse. I had 2 more courses to complete and a thesis left to write. I took one semester and a summer to finish the courses...and then I stalled out.

The thought of writing a thesis paralyzed me. I could not get myself to think about it without breaking into a cold sweat. I changed advisors two times before finding the right fit and the right topic. I took one semester off, then postponed again mid-way through the following semester.

I started wondering if I would ever get this done?!

With the support of my friends and family. With the encouragement of my advisor, I have attempted to tackle this project this semester!

Where do I stand?...

Four years later...after a lot of procrastination, after a lot of resistance (from myself), after a lot of prodding and work...I am doing it! I have a few final touches to make today. Then, I have a presentation on Friday.


This entire semester I have wanted to believe that I could do this...all the time being terrified that I couldn't. This week, I'm starting to believe. I'm starting to see the sun through the clouds and feel for the first time that I might actually do this.

Believe it or not -- I am about to graduate!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go, Jane Go!!!

I take it you hit the print button;)

Congrats on a major accomplishment!

Kris said...

Huge! Awesome! Wonderful! You should be incredibly proud! :)

MW said...

Woohoo!

Erin said...

Wow!!!