Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Crush By Any Other Name

The other day I overheard one of the girls telling us about her coach...

“Have you met J, yet?! I totally have a crush on him…well, NOT LIKE THAT (hahaha)! He’s just awesome. I really like it when he’s around!”

I knew EXACTLY what she was talking about!

I get crushes all the time. This is what I mean…

My first crush came in elementary school. Rob Kirchoffer. He ended up being my first boyfriend. I think that I sent (or maybe I received) an “I like you. Do you like me? Please check YES or NO,” note from him between classes one day. It was great!

In high school, I had crush after crush after crush. Finally to the age that interest could lead to an actual date. I had…no takers. Reise was my most memorable high school crush. He was two years older than me, an athlete. He had a sister in my grade. To me, he was sweet as could be. He innocently flirted with me, encouraged me, and looked out for me.

Today, when I say that I have a crush on someone, I mean that there is something about the person that draws me to him/her. There is something that I want to know more about, and I want to reveal to them more about me. There is some kind of connection that dares ask, “I like you…and I want you to like me. Would you?” In the same, innocent way that I asked my first boyfriend, who during our relationship only sat with me at the lunch table.

Would you like to have a coffee, a drink? Would you like to hang out? Would you like to talk about life with me? Would you like to know about what I do and what I think? I would like to know about you.

There is energy in the interaction, but it is not a romantic energy. Though, it is still fun and exciting and honest. I think that in life there are many levels of attraction. I am attracted to some people because I like their humor. I am attracted to others because I admire the way that they have found success in life. I am attracted to honesty and beauty. I am attracted to fun and the willingness to seek out adventure. My attraction does not always lead to romantic interest (although sometimes it does, but that is different).

Everyone knows people who you genuinely like, but can only take in small doses. There are those, however, that mean more. You can’t explain it…you just like being around them as much as possible. They make you laugh, they share your interests, they challenge you. You leave their presence feeling better about the world and about yourself. These are the kind of people that I like to befriend…and keep around. When I meet someone that I think might be this kind of friend…well, those are my crushes. Sometimes, I am misunderstood and it becomes awkward, but most of the time…my crushes turn into friends. Some of them, dear friends.

So, the next time you hear me talking about my latest crush, know that…

I don't mean it LIKE THAT!