Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Breaking my Habit Before Breaking my Back

My back started hurting me about six weeks ago. After a short run, I woke up the next morning and couldn’t stand up straight. Normally, a sore back goes away for me in a day or too, but I couldn’t shake it this time, so I decided to make an appointment with my chiropractor.

I saw a chiropractor for the first time when I was playing volleyball during my college days. From an out-of wack shoulder, to pulled abdominal muscles, a temperamental knee to a sore back, my visits to the chiropractor seemed to cure it all...and as the training intensity increased, so did my visits.

I had started feeling better, much better since I scheduled the appointment. Even so, I found out that I had slipped a disc but that my body was already on the way to recovery. More importantly, I found out that I should NOT be popping my back or my neck. I was told that my tendency to do this aggravated the problem and that I should stop immediately. So, the challenge has been extended...

It turns out that I pop my back about a half-dozen times every day. More than that if it’s tight or hurting me. My neck…I probably attempt to pop at least once every hour. Already this morning, I’ve caught myself mid-pop about five times. I’m going to try to do this, though. My chiropractor has promised that I’ll end up with a stronger back as a result, and who doesn’t want a strong back?

So, if you see me around and I’m popping my back or my neck, do me a favor...pop me upside the head! I need to break this habit.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Dr. Jules recommends margaritas, made with beer (and tequila, don't panic) at Barton Springs today for the magic hour.

MW said...

Stop the pop or I'll bop you ontop.