Monday, August 03, 2009

An Old Friend

Friends...People that increase our joys. Share our sorrows. Challenge us. Comfort us. Inspire fun. People we laugh with. Drink with. Dance with...

I have met some fantastic new friends in the past couple of months. Friends that I am so excited to get to know better in the months and years to come.

Friends that I love! Already.
Each for a different reason.

I found myself reflecting on these new friendships over the weekend, and it made me smile.

It also brought an old friend to mind...

Almost 7 years ago now, I met a new friend when I started a part-time job. I was in the middle of an exceptionally difficult time of transition in my life.

Somehow, Michael knew exactly how to be my friend.

He could tell when I needed to ask for help (but didn't) and he helped me. He never offered. He just helped, never giving me the opportunity to decline. He called to check on me. He talked to me.

Sometimes, he just sat with me.

We had conversations about literature and life. Always without judgment. I started to discover myself in the course of our friendship.

I loved him. Though, not in a romantic way. I know that he loved me too.

It felt like we were family.

Due to other commitments in Michael's life, our friendship ended...only a few short months after it began. I respect the path that he took. I regret losing him, though.

It was such a short friendship. It surprises me that I still miss him.

I wonder where he is now.
I wonder if he ever thinks about me.
I hope he is happy!...

I wish we could be friends again.

No comments: