Monday, November 12, 2007

Our Race for the Cure

I have the greatest group of friends!

post-race at Z'Tejas for mimosas

My mom is currently fighting breast cancer, and for the first time in 13 years ever, it is extremely hard on me to be so far away from home and from her...

In a show of support for me and my mom, my girlfriends registered Team "For Jane's Mom" for Austin's Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. The 5K race was held two Sundays ago. My girlfriends' gesture meant SO MUCH to me! It also meant a lot to my mom.

Our team walked 3.2 miles with tens of thousands of others, and raised $375 for the cause! Everyone on the course was running/walking for a purpose, which made the event even more special and meaningful. My purpose is found in the photo to the left. I think I started to cry four of five times along the course...but it was good.

More photos from race day can be found here.

My mom is a very strong woman (obviously, she's had to put up with me as her daughter for 32 years)! While what stands out most about this woman is her kind heart, don't be fooled...she is a fighter!

Positive at every turn, and not giving up! Next October, we will walk Omaha's Race for the Cure together.

I do have the greatest friends. I also have the greatest mom!

3 comments:

Panther said...

This was such a sweet post, Banana. You're such a good daughter, and I bet your mom is really proud of you! Good luck to her in her fight!

Shorey said...

Keep fighting is all I can say! How great you could spend the day with friends in support of your mom.

Kris said...

Oh my gosh, Jane, I didn't know your mom had breast cancer. It's awesome she's fighting, it's awesome you're fighting. I know it'll sound cheesy, but I like Winston Churchill for quotes, because he always said something everyone else could relate to, and so I hope that you'll forgive me for saying it but do it anyway: "Never, never, NEVER give up."