Friday, November 09, 2007

A Daughter's Words of Wisdom

Today was the UT Women's Hall of Honor induction ceremony. I was there as part of my work responsibilities, but also in support of my teammate who was being honored this year.

I was touched my many things about this ceremony, but one anecdote in particular stood out to me as important. I want to share that here.

Fran Harris, was being honored for her contribution to the Women's Basketball program. She thanked many people and told a handful of meaningful stories about her experience as a Longhorn.

Among those stories, Fran spoke about how much the support of her family meant to her, especially in her freshmen year when she wasn't seeing much action. She found out many years later that her sister had this conversation with their dad before one game...

As the family was getting ready to make the drive from Houston to support their daughter in her freshman year...Dad says to his family, "You know, Fran isn't playing all that much this year. Maybe we don't need to make the drive for this game?"

Fran's sister reminded him, "Dad...this is the time that she needs us the most." The family did not miss the game nor any that followed.

When I am a parent, I hope that I remember this.

1 comment:

Kris said...

That's a smart kid, and she was absolutely right.