Friday, May 12, 2006

Not-So Meaningless Moments

Last night, it was 9pm by the time I made the initial phone call. I was tired and very comfortable on the couch at this point. I probably should have just gone to bed, but I decided to see what was going on...

I ended up getting an invite to a book club meeting.
Actually, it was a failed book club meeting.
Apparently, only two people showed up.
One of them owned the house...

In typical fashion, I decided to throw on some clothes, walk out my front door, and meet up with my friends Tony and Phil. When I arrived, I was offered a beer and the three of us sat around Tony’s house and talked until close to midnight. My evening was not earth-shattering. It was nothing special, not really. But maybe it was something...

I feel like I know both of these guys a little bit better than I would if I had stayed home on my couch. They know a little more of me as well. I know that when I run into them again, which will probably be tonight, that we will be able to say to each other, “do you remember last night when we drank a couple of cold beers and laughed about ‘this’ or ‘that’?”

Other people won’t be able to share that same experience, that same connection...

I have countless friendships that have started over a drink or two just like this. Friendships are formed, I think, in the small seemingly meaningless moments. This is why I make it a point, as often as I can, to say “yes” when I am invited to share in one of these moments. I know that it could be one more experience, one more memory, one more story to add to an already existing friendship, or it could be the opportunity to make a new friend, to connect to someone I have never met before.

I know that people are different, that they are driven by different motivations and desires, but even still I have a hard time understanding why everyone doesn’t take those opportunities.

My closest friends seem to be the ones who do...who at the drop of a hat can meet me anywhere, just to hang out. For me, life is lived on the other side of the front door. That is where I meet the world and share my life (and often a drink) with the people living in it.

Cheers.

No comments: