Friday, April 09, 2010

Grandma's Girl

A few weeks ago I told one of the girls I coach, "my Grandma can hit harder than that!"

It was just a figure of speach.
I was trying to make a point.
I didn't really mean that my Grandma could hit the volleyball harder.

But, it got me thinking about my Grandma...

Growing up, I spent a lot of time with my Grandma Winkel. We lived in a nearby city, and she babysat for me a lot. As a young girl, we had our own routine. She knew little things about me... that to a 4 year-old is the entire world.

She knew that my favorite color was orange. She always cut my sandwiches in squares. She always handed me peanuts in the tin cap. We took naps together. She let me sit on her lap in the car. She knew that I couldn't live without my blanket... or my thumb. She knew that Alvin and the Chipmunks was my favorite record, and that Sesame Street was my favorite TV Show.

She knew me...

I was Grandma's girl.


As I have grown older, and reflected on this early relationship, I feel special and loved. I was not her only grandchild or even her only granddaughter. She had 9 children and many more grandchildren than that.

But she made me feel like a favorite.

My Grandma may not be able to hit a volleyball harder than the girl I was coaching. But she is tough. As I was saying good-bye to her after a visit a few years back, she gave me this piece of advice...

"Now, be good. But if you can't be good, be safe."

It made me smile then.
It still makes me smile.

I'm still Grandma's girl.

No comments: