Friday, January 23, 2009

Thoughts on Fathers

I have been thinking a lot about Fathers in the last few months. About my father. About the father I hope Gareth will one day be...

One of the people I look up to recommended the book Strong Fathers Strong Daughters. So much so that he actually purchased a copy for every man in his office with a daughter. Hearing this made me curious, so I requested a free chapter here.

Below are a few lines that most resonate with this daughter...

I have watched daughters talk to fathers. When you come in the room, they change. Everything about them changes: their eyes, their mouths, their gestures, their body language. Daughters are never lukewarm in the presence of their fathers. They might take their mothers for granted, but not you. They light up - or they cry. They watch you intensely. They hang on your words. They hope for your attention, and they wait for it in frustration - or in despair. They need a gesture of approval, a nod of encouragement, or even simple eye contact to let them know you care and are willing to help.

When she's in your company, your daughter tries harder to excel. When you teach her, she learns more rapidly. When you guide her, she gains confidence. If you fully understood just how profoundly you can influence your daughter's life, you would be terrified, overwhelmed, or both. Boyfriends, brothers, even husbands can't shape her character the way you do. You will influence her entire life because she gives you an authority she gives no other man.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I think that book would make me ball my eyes out.

MooreWorld said...

Wow, Jane....that's sounds like an awesome book. Thanks for sharing!

foodierachel said...

I really like that. Sounds like a great father's day present to keep in the back of my mind.