Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Who Needs Sleep?

Today I met with a doctor from The Sleep Disorders Center here in town.

Recently, a friend of mine was diagnosed with narcolepsy. As she shared her story, I saw my own life played out in her symptoms.

Tired. Never feeling like I had enough sleep. Could fall asleep anywhere.

I even went in to be tested for thyroid problems about 2 years ago because I was so fatigued all the time...

Today, I have an answer. I have narcolepsy. Just like my friend.

The doctor asked me about my childhood, about how I would take two naps a day for much longer than other children. He asked about junior high and high school, whether I would fall asleep in class or while studying. Ummm...yes. All the time. I told him that I thought I was tired from practice.

He asked me the most embarassing time that I've ever fallen asleep, and I told him about the time that I fell asleep in a booth at a live music event. The band was only a few feet from where I was sleeping and surprisingly, I hadn't been drinking.

He asked me about taking naps, and about how likely it is that I would fall asleep during different activities: reading, watching tv, sitting quietly. I had to tell him that in fact, I almost fell asleep in the waiting room.

His response, "it looks like you can't afford to sit still."

As I sat today, listening to the information on sleep disorders and the specific disorder he thought I had, tears came to my eyes. I was so relieved to finally know what was wrong! I will go back for a sleep study next month to find out more.

I have been lucky to have parents who understood the importance of sleep and napping. Never giving me a hard time about being tired. Gareth is great too, unless he wants me to get up and make breakfast ;-)

Sadly, not everyone in my life has been so forgiving. I have had coaches who thought I was lazy. Who thought that I slept too much. I have had friends and ex-boyfriends who thought I was inconsiderate.

Looks like they were all wrong.

3 comments:

MooreWorld said...

YEAH!!!!! I am soooo happy for you. Maybe I need to go too....I need WAY to much sleep....gets a little annoying after awhile!

Shorey said...

I've known several people with this - a former employee (who worked in a call center, and would fall asleep on her keyboard while on the phone with customers) and my dad, to name a couple. I'm glad you're close to finding relief, Jane! It will most certainly change your life.

Kris said...

That's awesome, Jane! It's like you and I were talking about Thursday night, once you figure out you have a problem (in my case, depression), it's a gigantic weight off your shoulders (not to mention a very emotional moment). Best of all, it has the potential to change your life for the better...what a gift!