Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Snow Days!

A snow day is...quite possibly the best day in the world! I could almost feel the energy in the air when I opened my eyes on one of these mornings. My room always looked just a little brighter. I would turn on my clock radio and listen carefully as the radio announcer went through the list of schools that had closed.

I would wait patiently as all of the school districts were announced...

District 66
Papillion/La Vista
Creighton Prep
Marian
Omaha Public Schools

Finally (if I was lucky) I would hear it...Millard Public Schools!

Y-E-S!! The best feeling in the world!

Usually, I would get out of bed only long enough to tell my parents that I had heard the news, then I was quickly back in bed. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to sleep late!


When I did wake up, I found the streets filled with snow...ready for me to play. As a young girl, my brother and I liked to make snow angels in the back yard. Snow forts, snow ball fights. Even a snow man on a few occasions. Fresh snow just calls out to young children...you can never let it go untouched. At least a run through, leaving your footprints, was required.

As I grew older, my snow days were spent sledding. We lived at the top of a very steep hill. Not so great for driving up during ice, but super for sliding down! My brother and our friends would spend hours and hours sliding down and running up this hill. When I was in high school, I would usually venture to my friends' neighborhoods and take a shot at the steeper hills found there. You could count on a wipeout or two, snow stuck in your gloves (right around your wrists), and most times a friend or two who decides to tackle you and throw snow in your face. That kind of favor was always returned!

One thing I could always expect was being red-faced and exhausted by the end of the day. Usually a warm meal was waiting for me at home, and almost always a cup of hot chocolate.

A free day.
A fun day!
Even now...

Nothing beats a snow day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the new lay-out.

Dig the new pic...we can see your pretty face;)

Anonymous said...

I miss having the "snow angels" in my backyard!

Love, Mom : )

MW said...

Don't eat yellow snow.