Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Good Kick

Tonight was my first swim lesson!

I'm gearing up to do a triathlon this spring, and today was my first attempt at swimming. I found out tonight that I have a really great coach and that I really didn't know what I was doing before tonight. In only one lesson, I improved leaps and bounds...

By the end, I was the fastest of the slow group. Then, when the entire group raced with the kickboards, I won! I even beat all of the experienced swimmers and the boys. Wow! I haven't done that since elementary school when I would be the first one to turn in my math homework.

My favorite old friend from my 10-year high school reunion was Nate Kloock. Nate and I were never very close once we reached high school, but we had been in every single homeroom class together at Grace Abbott Elementary school from 2nd-6th grade. I would hope and pray every year that Nate would not be in my class, and every year Nate was in my class! Obviously, my opinion of him has changed as I've grown older and more mature....as he was definitely my favorite re-connection at our reunion!

When I laid eyes on him in Omaha that summer, we hugged and laughed and tried to tell stories about our childhood and explain where our lives had led us. The first (and my favorite) thing he said to me was, "I would always race to get my math homework turned in before you and you always beat me!"

I must have been good at it. That has me thinking.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey! Yeah! Pub run! I realize this comment has nothing to do with swimming... or does it?

See ya tonight!

Erin said...

Jane,
Let me know WHENEVER you want to go swimming - I want to go much more than I do. We'll hit Barton Springs, too - get you in the open water.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Oh, thanks for the link too! :)

Anonymous said...

Jane + math = very, very good! --sj

MW said...

J + S + M = HB

Anonymous said...

tequila + Sunday = awesome! --sj