Thursday, August 10, 2006

Just Try...Put It Out There

I am trying to graduate this semester...
with my master's degree.
I only have my thesis left...
and it's making me crazy!

Seriously.

I'm sitting here in the library on campus right this second. I can't remember the last time I was actually working on school work in a library?! I have given up trying to get any semblance of work done at my apartment...and now, thanks to the internet, I'm not getting any work done at the library. Perfect.

I read a fun blog yesterday. It made me think about good sandwiches and dividing sandwiches, and corn. I still need to find out what my brother thinks about corn...but it was a funny thing to think about for a few minutes yesterday afternoon. I thought I'd write a whole blog about it...but I settled for contributing to the comment section on Ami's blog.

I've been writing on my blog, for all to see, for several months. I have never really considered myself a writer, but find that I have something to say from time to time. Not usually earth-shattering, but sometimes it hits a nerve. Regardless, it's me and it's what's on my mind.

One thing, though, that I still can't figure out about the whole blogging phenomenon is the non-commenter. I'm one of those really sad, pathetic people who actually forward their blog to their friends and family from time to time, hoping that someone will read it. I'm not now, nor will I ever be an ACTUAL writer who can rely on people checking in for updates.

But that is besides the point (and yes, I know it is "beside"...but I happen to like "besides" better). Please don't correct me on this one.

My point IS...I don't really understand the people who will reply to my email with really good stuff, but won't post a comment for others to see. Some of the feedback I get, really should be shared. Oftentimes it is something substantial to add, but they don't seem to want anyone else to see what they have to say. I don't know...maybe there is something a bit frightening about putting your words out there for other people to see and read...and judge.

I think it's fun to see what someone else is going to say about what I've said. I try to comment on other people's blogs so that they know they've written something that is good, something that is fun, something that made me think. It's nice to know that your words have reached someone...and you might find, maybe, if you return the favor, YOUR words will reach back.

Don't fake it, but if you can come up with something real, something witty (read: smart-ass), something that will make another person think or laugh (or even cry), well then...

Give it a try. That's all I'm sayin'.

5 comments:

MW said...

"Uhhh, is this where I comment?"

I hear ya, people 'tell me' when they see me that they read my blog. I'm like, well just comment.

I guess that's why I have a map of the world, and two coutners tracking how many people look at my blog.

Then again, I 'dork out' like that sometimes.

Unknown said...

my comments section disappeared on my last post and yes, it's set to allow for comments...don't know what happened but i was sad, even if it is a boring post...i want people to have the option of commenting.

Me said...

I can almost always come up with something that will make another person cry. I'll try to be better about sharing those thoughts...

Now get to work! :)

Buzz said...

I believe that the phrase: That’s all I’m sayin’, is a bit cliché…don’t ya think? Only people that run marathons together, party for 24 hours non-stop together, and go for really long bike rides on crappy bikes together should use a phrase like that. I’ll pause for weeping…Ok, that was a long enough cry. I hope that this comment thing goes really well for you and that you finish school so you can get back in the extremely life shorting game of endurance racing coupled with endurance partying.

JohnF said...

This entry inspired me to write a little poetry:

I try to check your latest work
whenever I am free,
When you count hits, it's safe to bet
that one of them is me.


OK, I must confess that I am faking it here. You called for originality, but I have nothing, so I stole a piece of poem. It did relate to this post. Without comments and interaction, we are all just silent lurkers.

Comments add life to the blog and give motivation to keep writing. My blog has Mike (and/or Marla) beat with 3 counters - but those don't catch people who read the feed through certain blog readers.

btw, I think the correct grammer is "beside the point" (with no "s" at the end of besides).

- Lurker John