Friday, April 07, 2006

It's a Boy!

Today is an important day in my life.

It might be selfish of me to think of my brother’s birthday as an important day in MY life, but it is. Twenty-eight years ago today, I became a big sister. John can hardly be considered my ‘little’ brother anymore, since he outgrew me years ago…but I will always be his big sister, as far as I’m concerned.

We have been through a lot together. We have been each other’s playmate and each other’s teammate. We have each been an enemy and a friend. We have stood by one another in the good times, and we have stood up for one another in the bad times. I have been John’s biggest fan, and while I may not have always deserved it, he has been mine.

I think there is a special bond between siblings. My brother understands things about me…things that I usually have to explain about myself, even to my closest friends. Somehow, between John and I though, no explanation is needed. I am glad to have him. He has been someone to keep me humble, someone to pick me up, and someone to cheer me on. He is someone who appreciates where I’ve come from and who believes in where I am going.

Today is the day that he was born.

His life changed my life…for the better, I’d say.

Happy Birthday, John. I’m glad you’re here, bro!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You both have been a blessing to me always! You are my "precious gifts"! Love always...