Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Twenty Ten

What's in store for the Sampson family in 2010?

As 2009 kicked off one year ago, I could not have predicted the joy I would find throughout the year. In January 2009, I was facing challenges with family and career that found me in tears most nights. Distress. Hopelessness. Discouragement. I felt all of these emotions on an ongoing basis as the year began.

By the time the year was over though, I could hardly recall those painful nights.

The turning point?
Well...there were two.

May 22, 2009
On this day, I walked out of the Student Services Office in the Texas Athletics Department on my last day of employment. I had survived. I don't think my smile has ever been bigger than it was on this day. A new career awaited me. One in which I was boss. I have made few decisions in life that felt better than this career move.

June 26, 2009
Just over one month later, Gareth and I married in Estes Park, Colorado. Yes, our wedding was beautiful. Yes, we had a fun time exploring the city and the historic hotel. Yes, we had a HUGE party with our friends and family. Yes, this was a special day!! More importantly though, this day reminds me of how lucky I am to have Gareth in my life. How lucky I am that he loves me. It made all the difference in how 2009 finished for me...and I expect that it will make all the difference for the rest of our lives.

What transpired in the remaining months of last year is a blur of smiles, laughs, drinks, friends...FUN! I spent time taking care of myself (something I had neglected to do for the previous 4 years) and it felt amazing!!

So, now what? As I look forward to this year individually and together with Gareth, I can't wait for these things...
  • A visiting student from Japan (he arrived this week and is settling into our guest room!)
  • An addition to our family (no, this is not an announcement!! not yet...)
  • A new little pup to run around our yard and keep us company
  • Time to spend with friends, both old and those we have yet to meet :)
  • A new career interest for Jane: Massage Therapy
  • Revisiting an old passion: Volleyball; using this part-time coaching gig to reconnect with old friends and make new ones
  • Fitness goals: Mountain Biking, Yoga, Weightlifting, CrossFit (?), Running
  • Traveling together as a family and being active
  • Momentum with Arbonne...and a promotion?!
With this list in mind, I know that I could not possibly predict all of the things that will challenge me in the coming year. Nor, will I be able to predict all that will make me smile.

I can only hope.

With beautiful friends at my side and an amazing husband, holding my hand...I think it's going to be another great year.

No comments: