Monday, September 10, 2007

Keep Moving Forward

I went out for my first long run three Saturdays ago.

The long run was 7 miles. This is 5 miles longer than I've run in recent months. It was hard. Very hard. I wanted to stop almost from the moment that I started.

Instead, I kept moving...kept moving forward.

Life has been challenging for me lately.

The hours at work have been very long and it has been a drain on my energy both physically and emotionally. There have been moments that I've thought to myself...

"I didn't think it was possible, but I may have lost my Texas Spirit."

This is not because I do not like what I do. In fact, I find that my job is very fulfilling. It's just that even though I really enjoy what I do for a living, I don't want to work 50-60 hour weeks. I don't want work to be the last thing on my mind when I'm falling asleep and the first thing on my mind when I wake up in the morning.

In addition to my long hours, I learned that my Mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer nearly a month ago. This news shocks and scares me. While her prognosis is good and her doctors are excellent, it is still difficult to deal with the news.

Keep moving forward.

All of these things in my life came to my mind during my long run. During my long, long run. I kept moving forward though on that morning...and I will keep moving forward.

My training is only just beginning and in February I will run a marathon. Between now and then, I hope that my determination will help find relief and routine at work. I hope that my love and perseverance will help my mother battle in her fight against cancer.

In the next six months, I will have many more runs in which to be challenged. I suspect that life will continue to throw challenges my way as well...just as it usually does.

I have already decided. I will keep moving forward.

No comments: